title

title

Thursday 12 April 2018

Game 176: Vyros2 vs Vayl2


Game 176 – Vs Mark Ellis – Legion – 09/04/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Vayl, Consul of Everblight (Oracles of Annihilation)
-Succubus
-Scythean
-Scythean
-Naga Nightlurker
-Seraph
Throne of Everblight
Throne of Everblight
Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion
Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion
Bog Trog Mist Speaker
Blackfrost Shard

The second game against Mark saw me drop my more usual Legion answer of Vyros2 into her. The Thrones are a bit of a concern as they can scrap Griffons very easily and outthreaten them in melee. Mark wins the roll to go first and we get moving.

The Orcales theme means that Mark is able to start with Admonition on a Scythean and Occultation on a Throne, though the latter is quickly dropped. Mark runs his forces up the table using the building for protection.

I can take up a position where I threaten the zones without being in threat range of Mark’s pieces, and he will have to commit next turn, so Vyros puts up Deceleration and my jack line moves into position.



With my forces out of threat ranges Mark just repositions and takes a position to try and stop me getting too much work done next turn. He contests the right zone with a Hellion and a Throne and has the majority of his forces in the centre, leaving the left zone contested by only his objective.

A small positioning error with the Shredder gives me a way in to get some decent work done this turn. I build Synergy with an Aspis and a Hunter before applying Hunter’s Mark to the Shredder. A Concentrated Powered Griffon takes out the objective to start the scenario scoring before Imperatus goes in, charging the Shredder and Side Stepping in to take out the Throne. I score 2 CPs to take a 2-0 lead.



Mark attacks back taking out Imperatus with a Grievous Wounds Scythean, dealing some damage into my other Jacks. The remaining Throne takes out a Griffon on the right, but isn’t able to take out the objective as well, and so can’t start his own scoring. I score the left zone again to move to a 3-0 lead. We switch the lights on.



I would love to remove both Scytheans this turn as it would probably allow me to clear the centre zone and win the game, but the one with Admonition up was going to be an issue so I keep my options open when allocating Focus. I remove the left Scythean first whilst building up Synergy before moving a fully powered Griffon up to the second, but Mark uses his Admonition move to get the perfect spot where he could contest the zone but not be killed, so I take out the Throne on the right instead with 2 Griffons. Finally I hit some massive dice spikes to take out the Seraph and leave him with little left. I lead 4-0.



Mark realises the game is over, so spends a couple of minutes taking out 2 of my Griffons before ending his turn with the score moving to 5-0.



VICTORY

Had Mark not mispositioned the Shredder on his turn 2 this could have developed into a pretty tricky game, but as I was able to get in first and do some decent damage it was always going to be difficult for him to claw it back. I have a Steamroller coming up next week and another at the end of the month as I get more practice games in for the Welsh Masters in May. It is a 3 list event so I will have to work out what I want to do for a third list.

No comments:

Post a Comment