title

title

Friday 6 April 2018

Game 165: Vyros2 vs Harbinger


Game 165 – Vs Richard Would – Protectorate of Menoth – 24/03/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
The Harbinger of Menoth (The Faithful Masses)
-Hierophant
-Devout
-Crusader
-Crusader
-Crusader
Champion of the Order of the Wall
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist
The Covenant of Menoth
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon
Paladin of the Order of the Wall
Paladin of the Order of the Wall
Wrack
Max Idrian Skirmishers
-Chieftain & Guide
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
-Attenant Priest
Min Choir of Menoth

My second game of the practice weekend saw me get a second game into Harbinger, and a chance to use what I learnt from my game against Adam earlier in the week. Richard had quite a different build to Adam, leaving his heavy lifting to 3 Crusaders instead of the Forge Guard, which makes the game a different challenge. Richard won the roll to go first and we got moving.

Richard runs his troops up within the 10” bubble around Harbinger, but the nature of the list means that the Jacks are left behind somewhat, especially as they are having to deal with the rough terrain issues.

I run up with my forces, with Vyros using 2 Twisters to build a partial cloud wall. I prepare 2 solos on the right to contest the circular zone and move the majority of my army left and central to try and break through a section of the list. I don’t bother with Deceleration as I almost want Richard to shoot with the Idrians instead of Charging



Richard doesn’t succumb to my will and does charge in with the Idrians, dealing some decent damage to a couple of my Griffons. The rest of his troops move into positions and use their various obnoxious stances to make themselves difficult to remove next turn. Harbinger Purifies off Synergy forcing my order of activations for next turn. For some reason night fell when I took this picture, no idea what happened there.



Imperatus is within 11” of Harbinger so Trampling to her is an option, but I need to get her a bit lower on health before I go for it. I hide my hand by not putting anything onto Imperatus whilst I do the rest of my turn, and then start to get work done with my Griffons and Aspis. By the time I have completed all the light Jacks’ activations I have reduced Harby to 7 boxes and killed a decent number of Idrians. Imperatus Tramples up with Concentated Power, and misses the boosted 6 to hit her behind a wall. Vyros’ Feat is up, and nobody scores. (87.42) (76.81)



Relieved to still be in the game Richard works on making a start on my jacks. A slight timing mistake is made as he kills a Griffon on the left before going into Imperatus, allowing him to move back with my Feat. As a result of that and the Harm attack from Aiyana missing, Imperatus survives the turn on a couple of boxes. Other than that my forces are pretty much intact and I can look at getting another decent turn done.



I consider playing for attrition here, but can get a second assassination run if I can clear the objective. A path is cleared and a Fleeted, Concentrated Powered griffon is able to get there and destroy it to the box. My job is then to remove as many models who can Free Strike Imperatus (who had healed with Phoenix Protocol) and I am able to remove all except a single Idrian and Vilmon. I go for it anyway, and between these and the Defensive Strike from the Devout Imperatus is reduced to 3 boxes, 1 arm and a Cortex. This time I need a 4 to hit and a boosted 8 to kill. I miss the 4 and concede.



DEFEAT

Long-time readers of this blog will know that I really hate to blame dice but come on. My first assassination had a 87.42% chance of killing Harbinger, and after that failed and scrapping for a second I managed to engineer a second 76.81% chance. I definitely learned a lot from my previous game against her and felt much more confident this time round, and hopefully next time I face the match up I will be able to get a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment