title

title

Friday 6 April 2018

Game 164: Rahn vs Kolgrimma


Game 164 – Vs James White – Trollbloods – 24/03/18

My list:
Adeptis Rahn (Defenders of Ios)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Chimera
-Phoenix
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr

His List:
Kolgrimma Stonetruth, Winter Witch (Storm of the North)
-Trollkin Runebearer
-Glacier King
-Storm Troll
Northkin Shaman
Northkin Shaman
Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North
Max Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
-Northkin Elder
Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears
Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears
Max Northkin Raiders

This weekend saw a WTC practice event at my local club in Stockport, with a number of the WTC players joining other strong players for practice games on the Saturday, followed by a few 8-man Steamrollers on the Sunday. My first game saw me playing James White with his Trolls. I want to test Rahn as a solid Troll answer and so drop him into James’ Kolgrimma list. I win the roll to go first and we get moving.

With decent Advance Deployed shooting I have to be a bit careful with my Halberdiers on the first turn. I hold the left unit back a bit but push up further on the right with Polarity Shield on the unit to prevent charges from the bears. The AFGs move up and are TK’d with Rahn hiding right at the edge of the killbox, knowing too well how strong Kolgrimma’s assassination can be.



James moves his troops up, with the Glacier king on the left screened by the Raiders, and the Bears holding down the right (the second unit of Bears were Ambushing). Kolgrimma puts up Owl’s Wisdom on herself and puts out 3 clouds to cover his army as best he can.



With Kolgrimma being immune to spell assassination I decide to Feat for attrition and try to clear out his troops as much as I can. I fire in 2 Chain Blasts but they aren’t as successful as I hoped, but does make a start on the stone unit and take out a couple of Raiders. The AFGs then open fire into his lines, killing a Sorcerer, more Raiders and putting Valka onto a single box. The Halberdiers on the right Charge in with Team Effort and kill both Bears, whilst the left unit remain in Shield Wall and wait for a better opportunity.



In my excitement of the last turn I had failed to rotate my AFGs to face towards the board edges, so the Ambushing Bear unit were able to get in on the right and remove one. A number of my Orange unit of Halberdiers are taken out by a combination of Raiders, Glacier King and Kolgrimma’s incredibly strong Sprays. James Feats an then clears the left zone to take a 1-0 lead.



I’ve got a few issues to sort out this turn and want to start making a push back on scenario. Rahn moves over to Force Hammer the Bears, knocking both down and killing one, before TKing himself into the forest. My Halberiers combine to take out the Storm Troll, Valka and the remaining Raiders, allowing Lynus and Edrea to move in and score the left zone. My Halberdiers take a pretty decent “anti spray” formation and I move into a 2-1 lead.



James continues attritioning into me but I don’t lose anything of too much importance this turn. A load of Halberds die and the Glacier King contests the central zone, but I still have my most important pieces left to deal with him. The score closes up to 2-2.



The game now hinges on whether or not I can take out the Glacier King, so that is the focus of this turn. I Force Hammer into the Stone, killing a couple an removing the armour buff from the Gargantuan, before shooting into it with the AFG and charging with my remaining Halberdiers and a Concentrated Power Griffon. I leave it on a handful of boxes and the score remains 2-2.



My Phoenix pays the price for me failing to take out the Glacier King last turn, as it and a few Halberdiers are taken out, with the Gargantuan Snacking back a few boxes. A few other Halberdiers are taken out my sprays from the Sorcerer and Kolgrimma, and James scores the left zone to lead 3-2.



Time to finish off the King and reduce James to just his caster and support. I Force Hammer into the stone unit again before moving Rahn up into the right zone. The AFG shoots the Glacier King dead allowing me to score the central zone to lead 4-3.



With only 3 models left James takes the attacks he can, but doesn’t clear anything of any real worth. He does score the left zone to level at 4-4 though.



With Kolgrimma camping nothing I am with the AFG and use the 2 shots to shoot her to death.

VICTORY

A really good game against a strong opponent. I would have been in a really strong position if I hadn’t given an AFG away early. I opted to go for a double Chain Blast instead of TKing the 2 AFGs to safety, but didn’t get too much done and so it was probably the wrong call. Other than that I liked how I played this game, especially dealing with the stone when possible which eventually led to me being able to take out the Glacier King.

No comments:

Post a Comment