title

title

Friday 23 March 2018

Game 163: Vyros2 vs Harbinger


Game 163 – Vs Adam Cort – Protectorate of Menoth – 21/03/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
The Harbinger of Menoth (The Faithful Masses)
-Hierophant
-Devout
-Sanctifier
Champion of the Order of the Wall
Champion of the Order of the Wall
The Covenant of Menoth
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon
Paladin of the Order of the Wall
Paladin of the Order of the Wall
Reclaimer Gatekeeper
Anastacia di Bray
Max Idrian Skirmishers
-Chieftain & Guide
Max Horgenhold Forge Guard
-Attenant Priest
Min Choir of Menoth

Round 2 of Vyros2 vs Menoth saw Adam dropping Harbinger, who is making a pretty significant comeback. I was glad to get a game in against her as it is the kind of match up that is difficult to theory into, so some table experience was going to be invaluable. Adam won the roll to go first and we got moving.

Adam marks the point that Harbinger is going to run to, and moves the rest of his forces into a 10” circle around her. The jacks partrol close to Harby on the left with the Hammer Dwarves on the right.

I have to get up into some threat ranges so move my forces up to within charge range of the Idrians and the Champions, but out of range of the rest. Vyros casts a Twister onto 4 Idrians, forcing Harbinger to Martyr for 7 boxes (she healed back in her turn). Vyros gets up the table pretty aggressively as I’m going to need every attack I’ve got to grind through this list.



Adam makes a start on the attrition by taking the charges that he can into me, dealing some decent damage. Harminger heals up, Purifys off Synergy and uses her Feat. The Covenant moves up behind the central building and puts up the No Spell bubble to make recasting Synergy difficult. He doesn’t get too much contesting the zones though, and nothing in place to score his zone or contest mine, so I may have a way in on scenario.



One thing that my list definitely has going for it is plenty of quality attacks, so it is time to see how much of Harbinger’s force they can clear out. Vyros walks out of the Book’s range to cast Synergy and another Twister before Repositioning back where he was. Griffons kill off a handful of Idrians before one charges through to attempt to dismount the Champion on the right, but the dice say no. In terms of trying to push for scenario, the Artificer moves to my flag with Polarity Shield up, and I put the largely useless Lanyssa onto the left flank to tempt Anastacia to Ambush over there and not trivially contest my flag. I lead 1-0.



Anastacia does come on to the left flank and quickly removes Lanyssa before Adam steps up his attrition play. With my Feat up I am able to protect some pieces but still lose both Griffons on the right and one on the left to a combination of Paladins and Forge Guard. He doesn’t contest my flag though so I move to a 2-0 lead, but am rapidly losing out on attrition.



Had I managed to take out the Champion’s horse on the previous turn I would have considered running everything up into Adam’s face and hope to hold out to get to 5-0 or 6-1 on scenario, but with a 16” run if would be far too easy for him to contest and close that avenue out. Instead I just continue on attrition, and am starting to get somewhere myself. I move to 3-0 on CPs.

My picture taking went pretty badly to the end of this game, so sorry for that. Adam gets my flag contested and repositions Harby’s entourage over to his flag to start scoring in return. Between the Sanctifier and the Forge Guard he is able to take out all my remaining light jacks, leaving me with just Vyros, Imperatus and some support. He closes the score to 3-2.

The attrition game is thoroughly lost, but I have a path to get Imperatus through to Harbinger. It is a long shot but when that’s all you have you roll the dice. Vyros adds a single point of Synergy and Imperatus is powered up before going in. I was unable to get up Concentrated Power due to the location of the book, so was at P+S 18. The Side-Steps get me there, and after my attacks Harby is left on 3 boxes. I concede the game.



DEFEAT

A really useful game here to see how she plays on the table these days. There were definitely things I could have done differently. The assassination odds (assuming both initials hit) were 28%, but had I kept a single Jack alive it would have been up at 58%. Similarly had I positioned slightly further from the book so that I could get Concentrated Power onto Imperatus that would have increased my odds as well. A really good couple of games, and I now feel a bit more prepared to face Menoth at upcoming events.

No comments:

Post a Comment