title

title

Wednesday 21 March 2018

Game 161: Rahn vs Vlad1


Game 161 – Vs Jim Gradwell – Khador – 17/03/18

My list:
Adeptis Rahn (Defenders of Ios)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Chimera
-Phoenix
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr

His List:
Vladimir Tzepesci, The Dark Prince (Winter Guard Kommand)
-Juggernaut
-Juggernaut
Greylord Forge Seer
-Destroyer
Greylord Forge Seer
-Marauder
Doom Reaver Swordsmen
Doom Reaver Swordsmen
Min Greylord Outriders
Min Greylord Outriders

The final round of the steamroller sees me face off against Vlad1 again, this time with the still relatively new Greylod theme piloted by Jim. I chose to drop Rahn again as I’m starting to feel fairly comfortable with the list. Jim wins the roll to go first and we get moving.

The Khador forces run up the table, spreading out pretty wide with the jacks fairly central. The Doom Reavers sit in front of the Greylords to protect the fragile cavalry.

As per the last game I have to balance taking a ranged alpha with getting up the table. Both AFGs are TK’d and walk forward, throwing out some AOEs in the general direction of the Doom Reavers. I hit a couple, but don’t break armour, but still leave some useful areas of rough terrain. My Halberdiers advance in 3 lines, the right unit pushing slightly further forward due to Polarity Shield protecting them against Doom Reaver charges.



Jim starts to get work done but is careful to keep Vlad as safe as possible. The Outriders spray into my Halberdiers before Repositioning back to safety. The Destroyer shoots off a couple more and a couple of Doom Reavers charge into the left Halberdiers, but being out of the Signs and Portents bubble he is unable to overcome the Set Defence on the unit.



Going an assassination this turn would take far more of an “all in” commitment than I was willing to go for, and was playing the list to test its attrition capability, so decide to play it out. After the Phoenix moves up and shoots off an Outrider, Rahn Force Hammers a Marauder over Vlad, killing 2 Doom Reavers and knocking the caster down. My AFGs open up, finishing off the left Outriders, and knocking down the Destroyer. That opens up the way for Eiryss to land a Disruptor Bolt on Vlad, removing his Focus for next turn. I score my flag and my zone for a 2-0 lead.



Vlad is pretty sad without Focus, but still has his Feat and 2 Forge Seers to get some Focus efficiency with. A Doom Reaver runs up, and is shot by the Destroyer to take out Eiryss with blast damage. Doom Reaves on the left dismount Skeryth and contest by flag, whilst the remaining Outriders continue working on my Halberdiers on the right. Finally the 2 Juggernauts charge into my Phoenix and destroy it. The score remains at 2-0.



I can win the game this turn by scoring 3 CPS, and my flag, zone and the central zone are all possible, so I work towards that. On the left Skeryth and the remaining Halberdiers clear the 2 Doom Reavers to score the flag. On the right the remaining Halberdiers charge and kill the contesting Outrider. In the centre the Chimera gets into position and kills the knocked down Doom Reaver, before Rahn Force Hammers one Juggernaut out of the zone, and TKs the other 2 jacks to clear and score is with Lynus and Edrea. Unfortunately, in clearing the zone I had slammed the Marauder back into Jim’s zone, allowing him to score it, so the score moved to 5-1.



Jim grabs the opportunity I needlessly gave him with both hands, shooting Rahn with the Destroyer before charging and killing him with a Doom Reaver.



DEFEAT

Whoops. Just slightly took my eye of the ball in what was otherwise a pretty decent scenario play. There was no reason that a Halberdier from the left unit couldn’t run and contest the zone that the Marauder ended up in, and unfortunately that was the difference between victory and defeat. Aside from that though I was still very pleased with how the list played. It attritioned pretty well and keeps the opponent on his feet due to the assassination potential. I could probably have gone for the kill on turn 2, but learnt a lot more about the list by not doing. Jim was a pleasure to play against and 2nd place in the event was a pretty decent consolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment