title

title

Wednesday 15 November 2017

Game 113: Vyros2 vs Zaal2

Game 113 – Vs Martyn Furnival – Khador – 11/11/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Zaal, The Ancestral Advocate (The Exalted)
-Basilisk Krea
-Agonizer
-Cyclops Shaman
-Cyclops Shaman
Hakaar the Destroyer
Ancestral Guardian
Ancestral Guardian
Ancestral Guardian
Void Spirit
Void Spirit
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Immortals
-Extoller Advocate
Immortals
-Extoller Advocate
Immortals
-Extoller Advocate

After a very brief break from my epic Round 3 I was ready to go again. This was the last game of the day so ending it on a high and being ready to compete for the trophy the next day was a real possibility. I have played enough games at the club to know that Vyros is a pretty safe drop into Skorne, so went for that against Zaal2. I won the roll to go first and got moving.

Like Round 1 I wasn’t facing any real shooting threat, so decided to allocate out all of Vyros’ Focus and get the Griffons a bit further up the table. I put the majority on the left flank as a useful forest on the right means I can threaten with Imperatus without him being in danger.

Martyn runs up in response, a Void Spirit toeing each zone. Immortals aren’t the fastest things in the world but they get up to the right hand zone but the left zone is pretty uncontested. Zaal puts up Vision onto Hakaar, and Aura of Power on himself.



I see an opportunity to get up in the game, but it does require a big commitment. Because Martyn has not intermingled his units (a really difficult skill) I think I can take off all of the gold unit, and not give anything a Vengeance move. Vyros shoots off the left Void Spirit before Feating and Repositioning into the left zone. The Griffons go in one by one and are able to remove all of the unit without having to commit Imperatus, which is a huge bonus. A final Griffon is able to take out the Agonizer from behind 2 Immortals due to Birds Eye. I am going to lose some lights next turn but hopefully should end up in a stong position.



The other Void Spirit moves up to contest my rectangular zone, before Zaal gets to work with his 18 Fury. He Feats before personally removes one Griffon, with Immortals dealing with another and leaving a third on a single box. I only get a single Feat move and put Imperatus slightly further up. His forces on the right envelope round into the circular zone. I score the left zone to take a 1-0 lead.



Under Zaal’s feat I didn’t see any benefit in killing a handful of Sentinels and triggering Vengeance and so decided to just tidy up some bits and pieces to get into a strong scenario position. Vyros shot off the second Void Spirit to guarantee myself 2 more CP, whilst the remaining Griffons and Imperatus cleared off a Shaman, the Extoller Advocate from the gold unit, and Hakaar. I positioned my Artificer in such a way that only one Immortal could see it, and then blocked off that charge lane with an Arcanist, all but guaranteeing that Martyn couldn’t score the right zone. I score 2 more CPs to move into a 3-0 lead.



Martyn charges through with the remaining Immortals, destroying 2 more Griffons and an Aspis, but can’t remove the contesting Artificer, nor contest either of my zones. I score 2 more CPs for a quick 5-0 scenario win.



VICTORY


Just what I needed after a difficult Round 3. Martyn was under pressure early on as my army gets up the table so much quicker than his and on a live scenario like this he was never able to get into my scoring zones. I was delighted to end the day 4-0, a position I had never been in in a major event before. 5 players were undefeated overnight, but sadly one had to drop out, leaving a clean 2 round shootout for the win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment