title

title

Monday 9 October 2017

Game 99: Rahn vs Agathia

Game 99 – Vs Gareth James – Cryx – 22/09/17

My list:
Adeptis Rahn (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Chimera
-Phoenix
-Aspis
-Manticore
-Manticore
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
-Hydra
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Battle Mages
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Bane Witch Agathia (Dark Host)
-Scavanger
-Slayer
-Deathripper
-Nightwretch
-Nightwretch
Bane Lord Tartarus
Max Bane Knights
Max Bane Warriors
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Bane Warriors
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Bane Riders

I’m starting to like Rahn. I know that conventional wisdom says to take him with 2 units of Battle Mages and Helios, but I like that with all the Focus it has, this list is capable of fighting even outside of the assassination. My final game of the evening was against Gareth, who was throwing some Dark Host around. As he was getting out his models I was amazed as to how much he had in his list. If this were to go to a long attrition game I don’t know if I could grind through it. I won first turn and got going.

I do like that when going first with Rahn against basically no ranged attacks, you can throw some friendly TKs around to get further up. After my forces ran up I cast it on both Manticores and Rahn himself (and should have used his last 2 focus to move up the Phoenix as well). The Hydra got charged up and Battle Mages took up aggressive positions between the jacks.



Agathia’s forces move up, enveloping around my compact force. An Arc Node runs into range of a Manticore and Agathis Arcs 2 Hellfires into a Manticore, dealing minimal damage. It makes a pretty intimdating sight across the table.

Unfortunately though Gareth hadn’t done enough to keep his caster safe.  Force Hammer on the Slayer in front of her, followed by a TK to pull her forward was followed by the Battle Mages quickly melting her with spells. Yes, she wasn’t camping anything but it really didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. I killed her with my 3rd Mage and had 3 fully loaded heavies to follow that up if needed.



VICTORY


I am really starting to like Rahn. We looked at what he could have done after the game and the answer was basically to have Bane Knights 2 deep in front of his caster. The game would have then been a matter of me killing through all his troops at range, not easy at all. It is nice to be playing a caster where one slip from your opponent ends the game, and the next step for me is learning to play this list in games where the assassination does not present itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment