title

title

Tuesday 17 October 2017

Game 106: Kaelyssa vs Gunnbjorn

Game 106 – Vs Tom Wiggins – Trollbloods – 14/10/17

My list:
Kaelyssa, The Night’s Whisper (Legions of Dawn)
-Helios
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Min Dawnguard Destors
Min Dawnguard Destors
Dawnguard Sentinel Scyir

His List:
Captain Gunnbjorn (The Power of Dhunia)
-Trollkin Runebearer
-Troll Axer
-Troll Impaler
-Mountain King
-Glacier King
Troll Whelps
Janissa Stonetide
Eilish Garrity, the Occultist
Min Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes

Final game of testing Rahn and Kaelyssa and I’m up against Tom with Trolls again. With 2 colossals. So I guess Rahn is out then, and I drop Kaelyssa again. I win the first turn and get moving.

Everything runs up. This is very much the formation that I had in mind when I designed this list. Helios central, Sentinels outside that and Destors flanking. I get a bit sloppy with the Destors on the right. I want to tempt him in to Assault spray them, but leave the leader forward in threat of being Deafened. Eiryss gets to the flag



The mistake in my placement of my Destors was seized upon by Tom. His Assault spray caught both front Destors, and he chose not to boost damage on the leader, leaving him alive and Deafened and unable to perform orders. After putting down a Rock Wall in front of the Mountain King Gunnbjorn fills up the stone and Feats, moving to a trench camping nothing. The rest of his forces run up the table.



I have a fairly decent assassination opportunity here, and can go for it at relatively low risk. Kaelyssa Feats and puts Phantom Hunter on herself and Helios, advancing up and shooting Eilish out of the trench before Refuging back. Helios then advances into range of Gunnbjorn, needing to hit 2 out of 3 boosted 10s to push him into range of 5 Sentinels. I miss the first 2, and instead settle for the bonus prize of pushing the Impaler into range of the left Destors, who charge and kill it. I try not to panic at the failure of the assassination. Worst case I will lose Helios, and have Sentinels to try and claw the game back.



The position of the Destors makes it difficult for the Glacier King to get to Helios, but a combination of the Mountain King’s Kill Shot after killing some Sentinels, Tectonic Shift from Janissa and Bulldoze gets him there. But then the dice don’t work and with one attack left Helios is left on 14 boxes, so Tom chooses to keep the Gargantuan as a transfer target. A Whelp goes to the flag to score, and Eiryss means we move to 1-1.

Helios gets put back together by an Arcanist, before being fuelled up and given Concentrated Power. He destroys roughly 80% of the Glacier King before the Sentinels finish it and take down Janissa. The Destors pour through the hole and Impact into the Krielstone unit, killing all but one. The Scyir then takes his Tactician bubble over to the right flank to allow the Sentinels to get easy charge angles, and they destroy the Mountain King. Kaelyssa runs into a position of safety in the rubble in the left zone. I score twice to move to 3-1.



Tom has nothing left and concedes the game.

VICTORY


To anyone reading these reports in order I think it’s pretty clear that I’m taking this list to Blood & Oil. It just attritions so hard and with the Destors to be a useful distraction I really like how it works as a whole. It has an assassination angle which, while it didn’t work here, can win me games. I love the Rahn list as well, but there are so many situations where you just can’t drop him, whereas this Kaelyssa list feels like it can play into anything that isn’t Corrosion or Auto-point city. The Destors really proved themselves over the 3 games. I don’t see me ever taking max units, but the 2 min as harassers who can just suddenly go and kill a light is a really nice addition to the list. I haven’t felt this enthused by a new list in a while and can’t wait to get more games in with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment