title

title

Tuesday 17 October 2017

Game 105: Kaelyssa vs Jarl

Game 105 – Vs Oliver Lonsdale – Trollbloods – 14/10/17

My list:
Kaelyssa, The Night’s Whisper (Legions of Dawn)
-Helios
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Min Dawnguard Destors
Min Dawnguard Destors
Dawnguard Sentinel Scyir

His List:
Jarl Skuld, Devil of the Thornwood (Storm of the North)
-Trollkin Runebearer
-Dire Troll Bomber
-Pyre Troll
-Troll Axer
Fell Caller Hero
Trollkin Champion Hero
Northkin Fire Eaters
Northkin Fire Eaters
Max Trolliin Champions
-Skaldi Bonehammer
Max Trollkin Champions
Max Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
-Elder
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew

Game 2 of the Rahn/Kaelyssa practice game saw me play Olly and his Trolls. The cloud wall that he can put up and the general difficulty in assassinating trolls meant I wanted to drop Kaelyssa again, with him dropping Jarl in the new Northkin theme. Olly won the first turn and we got moving.

Jarl puts Quicken up on the left unit of Champions before running up all his forces. The Pyre troll sets the Fire Eaters ablaze and they run to be well up the table, putting very early pressure on, but the right flank is pretty sparse with onlt Skaldi’s unit of Champions holding it down.



Even when only advancing the Fire Eaters threaten 12”, so I’m not going to get away with trying to Feat and stay out of threat, so I’ve got to commit at least a bit. Blur goes onto Helios and Refuge on Kaelyssa herself, before she shoots Quicken off the Champions, Feats, and moves back. I advance up cautiously, keeping out of the Champions threat with Helios, and trying to lose as few Sentinels to the Fire Eaters as possible. I end my turn and await my fate.



Olly looks at going for a Mafic Bullet assassination on Kaelyssa, and ends up doing around 5 damage to her. The Champions on the right run to jam my forces, and the ones on the left move up to threaten, in the safety of Jarl’s Feated cloud wall. The Fire Eaters advance up and kill a few Sentinels from each unit, triggering Vengeance on both.

I look at an assassination myself, as Jarl is camping nothing in range of Kaelyssa, but the order of activation would mean that I was all in, so I abandon the plan and look to thin out his forces instead. Between Vengeance and their activations the Sentinels are able to remove all the Fire Eatersm and Helios moves up and kills 2 Champions, knocking down a third. The right flank proves difficult to unlock, and after all my attacks there are still 2 Champions standing, but my positioning means that they can only really attack Destors next turn. I feel in a decent position as on the left he basically has the choice of killing Helios OR the Sentinels, leaving the other to clear up. We both score our flags to move to 1-1.



I think Olly makes a mistake on the left flank, as he kills a couple of Sentinels before starting on Helios. He does make a real mess of the Colossal, leaving it on 15 boxes or so, but with Mechaniks nearby it isn’t a great issue. On the right a combination of Bomber and Champions reduces me to 2 Destors left. We score our flags again for 2-2.



With attrition swinging hard in my favour it is time to press home the advantage. The Sentinels on the left finish off the Champions and the Pyre troll and Helios starts to wear down the stone unit, leaving just one in the zone contesting (I should have used the gun to push t out, but clock pressure meant I didn’t think of it). On the right the Sentinels Vengeance forward, finishing off the Champions, before they and the Destors charge and destroy the Bomber. I score the flag and right zone to lead 4-2, and more vitally, have devastated his forces.



With the game essentially over, Olly goes for a Magic Bullet assassination again, but would need to roll 6,6 and 6,5 on the damage dice to get there (I should have made it impossible by using some Focus to heal). He doesn’t, and despite removing some more Dawnguard with the Axer. He does score his own flag, but I score mine and the zone to move to 6-3.

So all I have to do on my turn is move a Sentinel to contest his flag and win 8-3 on scenario.



VICTORY


I liked how I played this one. Kept patient before two huge attrition turns were able to turn the tide in my favour. I loved Olly’s list and it was nice to see a caster like Jarl on the table, but in the end he just wasn’t able to do enough to the Sentinels. The Destors performed a different task this game. They didn’t kill much but their armour and survivability held the right flank down before they and the Sentinels were able to break through. Then, when only 1 or 2 left, they were extremely useful in being able to Reposition back into the zones to score valuable CPs without having to commit the Sentinels.

No comments:

Post a Comment