title

title

Tuesday 17 October 2017

Game 104: Kaelyssa vs Vayl2

Game 104 – Vs Niels Jensen – Legion of Everblight – 14/10/17

My list:
Kaelyssa, The Night’s Whisper (Legions of Dawn)
-Helios
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Min Dawnguard Destors
Min Dawnguard Destors
Dawnguard Sentinel Scyir

His List:
Vayl, Consul of Everblight (Oracles of Annihilation)
-Succubus
-Angelius
-Angelius
-Carnivean
-Seraph
-Naga Nightlurker
Throne of Everblight
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
The Forsaken
Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion
Blackfrost Shard

The first thing I did when the new themes landed was look through my old lists to see if I could make them fit. My Nationals Kaelyssa list only needed to drop the AFG to get into Legions, and when considering what to put in in place I settled on 2 min units of Destors. The Sentinels’ main issue has been getting jammed up with infantry, and so having the DEstors with Tactician to unjam them felt like a nice fit. My first test game was against Niels, using Vayl2 in Oracles. I went first and got moving.

Nothing different to the standard Kaelyssa opening here, other than Banishing Ward going straight on her, not to be dropped for the rest of the game. Helios gained Blur and everything ran up, with 1 Destor moving into threat range of his guns and the rest staying in safe positions. Eiryss went over to the flag and didn’t leave for the game.

Niels moved up his beasts on the left but through some pretty rough dice it took 2 heavies to kill the Destor I had offered up. The rest of his forces moved up behind walls or the Battle Engine to protect against pushes from Helios. One Angel was given Occultation and Vayl put up Admonition on herself.

My apologies for not taking a picture at the start of this turn. I was just excited to do Destor things. Helios advances and uses his gun to push up the Carnivean into threat of the Sentinels, who charge and destroy it. The 2 remaining Destors on the left charge the Seraph, and with a combination of Impact Attacks, Assault shots and Pow14 Melee attacks are able to destroy the beast, Repositioning further into his lines. The other unit flank hard on the right and the second Sentinel unit moves up to threaten next turn. Kaelyssa moves up and Feats, covering all of her forces that aren’t on a horse.



Niels attempts to counterattacks my forces, but through my Feat it is difficult for him to take out anything that I haven’t offered up to him. One Destor on the left and two on the right are taken down, as well as a handful of Sentinels on the right unit. Niels is concerned about the left Sentinels and so throws an Angelius up to hold me back a bit. A Shepherd runs to his flag, allowing us both to score and move up to 1-1.



It is no simple task but I figure that if I can kill the Throne and both Angelii this turn I will win the game. The right Sentinels Vengeance into positions where they can react to other activations, before Helios destroys the Throne with Concentrated Power. The left Sentinels destroy their Angelius, but the right unit miss a few attacks into the most central one, leaving it alove on around half boxes. The right Destor clears the Shepherd off the flag and the left kills one of the Blackfrost Shard. Kaelyssa just runs to the right zone to take a 3-1 scenario lead.



With little left on the board Niels decides to throw an Angelius into Kaelyssa’s face in the hope that she can’t deal with it next turn. It is a pretty desperate play but all he has. He clears out the Sentinels engaging it using Vayl’s Feat, and manages to dodge the free strike from Helios to get deep into my zone. The Naga and Blackfrost finish off the remaining Destors, but he can neither score nor contest my flag, so I move to lead 4-1.



I have no doubt that I could have remove the Angel if I had to, as the right Sentinels could have Vengance moved round and charged, but as I only needed to score 2 more CPs it was easier to just run Helios into the uncontested left zone and win 6-1.



VICTORY


I am under no illusions that this was a very good match-up for my list, and Niels’ dice certainly didn’t help him turn the tide, but I think the Destor units are exactly the far reaching element that this list needs, and I definitely want to try it out more. This game they took out a Seraph, Shepherd and one of e Blackfrost Shard, not incredible for 24 points, but the table space they bought me was invaluable in allowing the Sentinels to do their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment