title

title

Monday 11 September 2017

Game 95: Vyros2 vs Ossrum

Game 95 – Vs Mark Ellis – Mercenaries – 10/09/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
General Ossrum (Hammer Strike)
-Grundback Blaster
-Grundback Blaster
-Grundback Gunner
-Grundback Gunner
-Grundback Gunner
-Grundback Gunner
-Ghordson Driller
-Ghordson Driller
-Ghordson Driller
Ogrun Bokur
Thor Steinhammer
Herne & Jonne
Horgenhold Artillery Corps
Horgenhold Artillery Corps
Max Horgenhold Forge Guard

Unfortunately the last round of the Nationals put me up against a club mate. I had been lucky enough to play 4 new players and 2 more that I had only played once before, so I suppose I was due this. Mark was locked into Ossrum, and the table was very well suited to Vyros. I had played the match up before and felt pretty confident, despite losing first turn.

Mark Runs everything up, using Energizer to get an extra 2” forward. Fire for Effect is put up on one of the Artillery units, ready to start shooting next turn.

I run up and Feat, hoping that if he kills a jack with shooting I can retaliate with an aggressive move that will hopefully open up some opportunities. I keep Imperatus close to the objective, so that I can give him Pathfinder to completely ignore the central forest. Two Griffons Fleet and run to get into aggressive positions.



Mark moves up and shoots into my Griffons, killing one and having a bit of damage spread around through Shield Guards. He uses Energizer to move back slightly and toe the zone, ready to charge and deal some serious damage next turn.



Unfortunately a long weekend of gaming had taken its toll on Mark, and he hadn’t protected his caster well enough. With the objective granting Pathfinder to Imperatus I was able to build up Synergy on the left before charging in, Side-Stepping off the objective, destroying it, and killing Ossrum with 2 bought attacks



VICTORY

An unfortunate game to end on, as a quick victory from a friend’s mistake leaves a slightly bitter taste. I feel like I can grind out this game, as he only has so many melee attacks in the list, and I have a lot of jacks, but it would have been a grind. Mark still won best Mercenaries player, a great achievement considering that he mostly played Thexus, whom he had 3 games of experience with before the tournament began.


I finished the event 5-2, finishing a respectable 16th out of 108 players. I am very pleased with this result, especially given how easily I could have won round 3. I only felt outclassed by my opponent in one game, which shows that I’m really getting somewhere after a pretty dismal showing at the Welsh a few months ago. I am not sure when my next major tournament will be, possibly Blood and Oil if I get a pass. Either way I am excited for the new themes, and want to keep searching the depths of what the faction has to offer. Need to get back to the painting tables and get that second AFG done.

No comments:

Post a Comment