title

title

Friday 8 September 2017

Game 87: Kaelyssa vs Una2

Game 87 – Vs Paul Sheard – Circle – 06/09/17

My list:
Kaelyssa, The Night’s Whisper
-Helios
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer

His List:
Una the Skyhunter (The Devourer’s Host)
-Gorax Rager
-Scarsfell Griffon
-Scarsfell Griffon
-Scarsfell Griffon
-Scarsfell Griffon
-Scarsfell Griffon
Gallows Grove
Tharn Ravager Shaman
Death Wolves
Tharn Bloodweavers
Max Tharn Ravagers
-Chieftain
Max Tharn Ravagers
-Chieftain

After a whole load of indecision about my third list for the Nationals I looked through my reports and just decided to play the list that I had most experience with. When that list was Helynna Pacific Rim, a list with zero play in SR2017, I stepped down to second most, which was this Kaelyssa Sentinel list. It is by no means a perfect list. As shown in its last outing against Mark it can be jammed out of scenario if going second against a fast list, and there are plenty of things in the game that can deal single damage to Sentinels, but it is a threat that has to be dealt with, and has really strong game into non-Zerkova Khador (a prolific faction at the Nationals) so I decided to give it another shot. Despite Vyros being my circle drop I needed reps with the list so threw it down anyway, with Paul bringing his latest attempt at a Vyros answer. I won the first turn and got moving.

I did not deploy well. The AFG was on the right to move up and contest my zone, with Helios central and the Sentinels spread out to the left. Refuge was cast on the AFG and everything ran up.

Paul puts Mirage on the central unit of Ravagers and puts up Wind Wall to stop any trouble from Helios. His forces also run up, staying out of 10” of the Sentinels, with the Bloodweavers flanking on the left and the majority of the Griffons on the right.

This is going to be my feat turn but I want to get some work done as well. The AFG fires slam shots into the Ravagers in the centre, only killing one due to 3 others passing tough. Kaelyssa shoots a Dispel shot into them, stripping Mirage and killing one of the toughed guys. The AFG pushes 3 of the unit towards the Sentinels who charge and kill them. Both sentinel units Mini-Feat and prepare for the second unit of Ravagers.



Una casts Hand of Fate onto the full unit of Ravagers and they walk into the Sentinels, using their Mini-Feat granting them Overtake. Between their attacks they kill 4 out of one unit and 3 from the other. A fairly underwhelming total, but more than I was expecting. The Death Wolves run to engage the AFG, and the Griffons reposition ready to attack next turn. Paul scores his rectangular zone and flag to take a 2-0 lead.



It is my turn to tear through Paul’s units. Between Vengeance attacks and the units’ charges all but 2 of the medium based Tharn are dead, and that with Paul rolling well on tough checks. I cannot roll 7s to save my life and 4 attacks into the Bloodweavers only kills one of them. The AFG struggles to clear itself and Helios gets into place for next turn. Eiryss takes position on my flag to claw my way back to 2-1 down.



Now it is my turn to really lose some infantry. Between the remaining 2 Ravagers and the Griffons I am left with only a small handful of Sentinels fighting the Weavers. Paul clears his flag and zone and moves to a commanding 4-1 lead



With basically nothing left I am in a really bad position, so console myself by killing some Griffons. One had taken a real beating from a Sentinel and was finished off by Kaelyssa, whilst another was one-shot by Helios. The AFG continues missing the Death Wolves. We both score to 5-2.



All Paul needs to do for the win is clear 2 Sentinels out of his zone and contest my flag. He does so easily but we decide to see whether his remaining 2 Griffons can kill Helios. Turns out that with enough damage spikes they can. Paul scores twice more to win 7-2.



DEFEAT


Not a great result at all but that didn’t matter too much. The list felt good and without a super-strong second wave with a lot of attacks Paul wouldn’t have been able to come back. Whilst his list could deal with this there are plenty that can’t. A game of Vyros2 into this Una2 list would be very interesting, and I can see us playing it out some time after the WTC.

No comments:

Post a Comment