title

title

Friday 8 September 2017

Game 86: Vyros2 vs Thexus

Game 86 – Vs Mark Ellis – Mercenaries – 06/09/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Exulon Thexus (Operating Theater)
-Wrecker
-Warden
-Warden
Cephalyx Agitator
Cephalyx Agitator
Cephalyx Agitator
Max Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges
Max Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges
Max Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges
Max Cephalyx Mind Slaverer & Drudges
Min Cephalyx Mind Slaverer & Drudges
Min Cephalyx Mind Slaverer & Drudges
Cephalyx Overlords
Cephalyx Overlords

Final day of practice before the Nationals, and I get 3 games in to sure up my 3rd list slot. The first was against Mark, taking a break from smashing me with Damiano to try out his Cephalyx for the first time. I am starting to think that I need to be able to play Vyros into the various dude-spams that Mercenaries can offer, so drop him into the match up. Mark wins first turn and I select the side with a useful cloud to hide stuff behind.

Thexus gives a focus to each monstrosity before advancing up, his forces run up save for one unit kept aside for Ambush. The Agitators stab into the monstrosities following their advance, filling them up with focus ready for later turns. There are a lot of models in his force, with more to come and Tough across the board, and I’m not sure I have the attacks to grind through it.



I run up my forces, getting into positions to contest the zones. I stay more than 12.5” from the Drudges, so that only powered-up models can get to me. Deceleration is cast to reduce the impact of any sprays that get on me but that will really only be an issue if Mark Feats.



My positioning in my last turn was assuming that I would be protected by the clouds, not knowing that the Drudges have Eyeless Sight. As a result 3 supercharged Drudges are able to charge and destroy the Aspis on the far right flank. The rest of Mark’s forces continue their advance, spreading out to make my Griffons’ life difficult, before Thexus advances to the flag and TKs Imperatus back and around.



The attrition angle feels bad. I certainly could manage to grind through all the Drudges but I’m not sure that I would have enough at the other side to deal with the three Monstrosities. I do have a pretty decent assassination angle though. Following a Whip Snap from the Magister on a drudge there are only 2 Drudges blocking Imperatus’ Side-Step route to Thexus. Griffons build up the Synergy chain and remove one of the intervening Drudges, before Vyros shoots at the other, which passes it’s Tough check which is ideal as it gives Imperatus a guaranteed hit and kill on the path to the caster. He charges in, steps off the Warden (free strike does very little) and the knocked down Drudge, and at dice +8 doesn’t care about Thexus’ focus and kills him in 2 hits.



VICTORY


I haven’t had a good Imperatus assassination for a while so this one was a nice feeling. The Magister is in the list for cheeky little Whip Snaps and they have won me my last 2 games, it really is invaluable against Telekinesis casters. It would have been interesting to play out the grind but I suspect the game will have come down to could I use my feat to allow an assassination in the following turn. I like the Vyros list a lot, and if anything need to be more confident in what I can drop it into.

No comments:

Post a Comment