title

title

Monday 4 September 2017

Game 81: Vyros2 vs Makeda1

Game 81 – Vs Ryan Longthorne – Skorne – 27/08/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Archdomina Makeda
-Mammoth
-Basilisk Krea
-Molik Karn
-Titan Gladiator
Gremlin Swarm
Swamp Gobber Chef
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Extoller Soulward
Legends of Halaak
Min Paingiver Beast Handlers

The Sunday of Bank Holiday gaming saw me down at a friend’s house to take on some of the Merseyside Mammoths. 4 of us were down and played 3 games each, with all armies used fully painted, which was really nice to see on the table. Ryan was first, who like me was trying to find his 3rd list for the Nationals, and was trying out the classic Makeda1 Molik Missile list. Vyros is very much my Skorne drop so I throw him down. Ryan wins the first turn and we get moving.

Makeda’s forces move up, weighted hard to the left hand side of the board, with only the Legends of Halaak anchoring the right. Quicken is cast on Molik Karn to churn up his threat range.

I run up in response, using the forest in the centre of the table to get my Griffons in an aggressive position where they can’t be attacked. I send a Griffon and an Aspis to the left zone and put up Deceleration to protect against the Mammoth’s shooting.



Ryan advances up and starts shooting in my lines, but is very wary of my threat ranges. He does some damage to the 2 lights on the left flank but only to their Force Fields. The right zone is only contested by one of the Legends, which he measures to be out of Imperatus’ threat range, but doesn’t check my Griffon’s.



Due to Ryan not committing enough to the right zone I see an opportunity to get ahead on scenario. Synergy is upkept and I send a fully boosted Griffon into the legend in the zone, killing him to control the right of the board. A Griffon with Concentrated Power charges the objective and kills it to score another point (this was probably an error, I should have held this Griffon back for another turn). The rest of my jacks spread out under Vyros’ feat to cause problems for next turn.



The Skorne retribution is more significant that I had hoped, killing 2 Griffons and both Aspis, allowing me some feat moves to get Imperatus into a dangerous position. The remaining Legends get into the right zone and Ryan score the left and his rectangle. He feats with Orin in my zone to prevent my scoring there for a few turns. He scores twice to close to 3-2



Time to kill off some heavies and get up on attrition. I build up a couple of points of Synergy on the Titan and Molik, and remove the Gobber Chef with Vyros, before starting the serious activations. The right Griffon destroys the remaining Legends, Imperatus goes into the Titan, killing it, and with a few good dice rolls a P+S 18 Griffon destroys Molik. We both score circle zones to move to 4-3



Ryan’s turn is mainly spent discovering just how difficult Imperatus is to kill. It takes him the entire activation of the Mammoth, plus a couple of extra Jack Hammer attacks from Makeda but the jack eventually went down. He ran the Gremlin Swarm to join Orin in contesting my zone, and once again we both scored our respective circular zones, to move to 5-4 to me.



I don’t particularly like how the attrition game is feeling. I think I’m up, but the game is now down to 4 Griffons vs a Mammoth and there are certainly ways that this could go wrong. Makeda is camping 2, but both of her remaining beasts had maxed out trying to kill Imperatus, so I plan an assassination on her. 2 Griffons start building Synergy by attacking the Mammoth, before the attack Griffon’s charge lane is cleared by the last Griffon killing Orin, and the Magister killing the Gremlin Swarm. Vyros cast Easy Rider in order to get his gun shots onto Makeda, one hit doing a little bit of damage. Then the Griffon charged and at P+S 18 killed Makeda with one attack.



VICTORY


I felt that attrition was going well early on but as the game progressed I felt less and less certain of my position. I think that killing the objective bottom of 2 was an error, I should have stayed safe and only scored 2, and then dared him to come into me more. Was pleased to get an assassination, they seem to be becoming pretty rare in MK3. This list is definitely going to the Nationals.

No comments:

Post a Comment