title

title

Thursday 24 August 2017

Game 74: Ravyn vs Haley3

Game 74 – Vs Glenn Wareing – Cygnar – 19/08/17

My list:
Ravyn, The Eternal Light (Defenders of Ios)
-Helios
-Helios
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Stormfall Archers
Stormfall Archers

His List:
Major Prime Victoria Haley
-Centurion
-Thorn
Captain Arlan Strangeways
Journeyman Warcaster
-Charger
Arcane Tempest Rifleman
Arcane Tempest Rifleman
Ragman
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Max Trencher Infantry
Max Storm Lances

The second list I was wanting to try to fill out my three lists for the Nationals was a Ravyn list I thought about some time ago. Playing with Garryth back at the Welsh showed me what a strong combo the AFG and Helios are, so I looked at turning that to 11 with this list. Glenn was playing Cygnar and dropped Haley3, which didn’t feel like a disaster, as whilst I would strggle to shoot through the cloud wall, he would potentially not have enough armour cracking to grind through 2 colossals. Glenn won first turn and we got moving.

Glenn brought out the Past and Future versions and put Tactical Supremacy onto the Trenchers, who advanced, clouded and Repositioned back. The junior put Arcane Shield on the Storm Lances who ran up the flank.

Glenn has set up the cloud wall in such a way that I can just about see Future Haley. The AFG gains Snipe and sends some AOEs in her general direction, getting lucky with the scatters and killing a Trencher, toughing another, and reducing both Riflemen to 3 boxes each. Rough terrain was also put down to impede his advance. The rest of my forces ran up ready to contest the zones next turn.



There is not much for Glenn to do this turn unless he wants to basically throw away his Storm Lances, so he just continues advancing behind the smoke cloud, and casts Temporal Distortion to increase his defence further. He makes a mistake and there is a gap in the cloud that gives me a way to get into his lines. The Storm Lances wait for their opportunity to attack.



This is the turn where Ravyn needs to get work done, I spot a possible assassination run and realise that I can go for it without risk, and play out a strong attrition turn should it not work out. Ravyn starts by firing a Blaster Round at a Trencher, deliberately missing to hope for a good scatter. I get lucky and it floats onto Ragman, killing him. Ravyn then feats. I go for the assassination run by charging the right Helios into a Storm Lance. If I can hit Haley with 2 out of 3 boosted 13s I can drag her forward enough to kill her. I miss the first one and switch to attrition, killing 2 of the Storm Lances. The AFG kills a further lance, before taking on a cheeky shot needing a 13 onto Haley Future, in cover under Temporal Distortion. I make the roll and kill her. On the left the Helios advances up, pulls the Centurion out of DEF boost range and kills it. A strong attrition turn leaves him with very little to threaten the colossals.



But Haley 3 always has an assassination angle. Thorn runs up to the gap between Helios and building, Haley 3 feats and between 3 Force Hammers hitting Ravyn into the wall, takes her down.

DEFEAT


A disappointing loss as getting to 2-0 is always my benchmark of success at a Steamroller, but I liked the list a lot. A bit more understanding and I would have been in a strong position. I didn’t realise that I could Swift Hunter from killing anything, not only the shot target, so had I moved back 2” and put up a Veil of Mists I could possibly have been safe from assassination, which was Glenn’s only way out of the game. Unlike my game with Thyron, I really liked the feel of this list, and really want to try it out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment