title

title

Thursday 24 August 2017

Game 73: Thyron vs Doomshaper3

Game 73 – Vs Dan Saunders – Trollbloods – 19/08/17

My list:
Thyron, Sword of Truth (Defenders of Ios)
-Fane Knight Guardian
-Banshee
-Griffon
Ghost Sniper
Ghost Sniper
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Lys Healer
Houseguard Thane
Heavy Rifle Team
Heavy Rifle Team
Max House Ellowuyr Swordsmen
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max House Ellowuyr Swordsmen
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer

His List:
Hoarluk Doomshaper, Dire Prophet
-Scroll Bearers
-Dire Troll Bomber
-Dire Troll Blitzer
-Dire Troll Mauler
-Dozer & Smigg
-Troll Impaler
-Troll Bouncer
Max Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
-Elder

Another Steamroller at the local club with 15 attendees. It was nominally down as Masters practice but quite a few people, myself included, we using it to try and find a 3rd list for their existing pair. My first round was against Dan, who had hugely improved his Doomy3 list since last time we played, but is still a fairly new player so I decided to try out Thyron to see how it felt. The list was nominally put together to give a different answer to high Defence armies, which this list definitely wasn’t, but the Banshee would give me a way around his feat so it was worth a look. Dan won the roll to go first and got moving.

Dan does standard Troll stuff of running up and filling the stone, nothing special here.

After Advance Moving the Halberdiers received Desperate Pace from the Thane, before Shield Wall advancing up and Repositioning further forward. In total this gets them 17” up from their deployment line, with +4 armour, which feels great. The rest of my forces run up, with Storm Rager on Thyron himself, and Assail on the Banshee, even though  wouldn’t be able to Slam anything through Implacability.



Dan advances up and starts taking some shots into my mass on infantry. But not too much goes down. The Lyss Healer takes a stray AOE to the fact but a poor dice roll means she doesn’t die. Vitally, Dan doesn’t get much of a presence in the left zone, so I see this as an opportunity to score some points.

The shooting squad of 2 Ghost Snipers and 2 HRTs effortlessly take care of the objective, before the Griffon moves into the zone to start the scoring. The rest of my troops swarm in and do as much damage as they can. On the right Dozer and Smigg are left on a handful of boxes, and the Bouncer goes down, finished off by a charge from the Fane Knight Guardian. In the centre, the Halberdiers kill off a couple of Stone members, before clearing the lane for the Banshee to charge and kill the Bomber. I score 2 points to lead 2-0.



Dan tries to get back into the game and does kill off a decent amount of infantry, especially on the right flank, but cannot contest the left zone, allowing me to score again. Doomshaper feats to protect what is left of his beasts but it feels like a bad position. I lead 3-0.



Only the damaged Impaler is left in the centre zone and all I need to do is score in that to win. The Banshee is given Concentrated Power and the P+S 21 boosted attack is enough to destroy the light Warbeast. With the game wrapped up the Fane Knight takes a charge attack at Dozer & Smigg, needing a 13 on 4 dice to kill it, and was successful. I don’t milk the game any further and end my turn, winning 5-0 on scenario.



VICTORY

I think that my win here was down to the sheer intimidation that my list can put out. On his turn 2 Dan should have got his beasts into the zone and Feated, but felt that he needed to do some shooting to thin out my numbers and as a result didn’t have enough of a scenario presence. My dominance on the left would probably have told regardless but the job was slightly easier than it had to be.


In terms of finding a 3rd list, I know that this isn’t it. I know the matchup wasn’t what it was designed for but it just felt wrong. Partly this is because after only 3 turns I was down to 18 minutes, and I don’t like time pressure. I have 2 other lists to try over the course of the day, and hopefully one of those will jump out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment