title

title

Friday 18 August 2017

Game 68: Vyros2 vs Baldur2

Game 68 – Vs Paul Sheard – Circle Orboros – 09/08/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Baldur the Stonesoul (The Bones of Orboros)
-Megalith
-Woldwrath
-Woldwrath
Blackclad Wayfarer
Blackclad Stoneshaper
Blackclad Stoneshaper
Sentry Stone & Mannikins
Shifting Stones
Shifting Stones

Paul has become pretty comfortable with his Wurmwood list but after our game at the last Steamroller wanted to find a second list, part of which had the ability to play into Vyros2. The current attempt is the Baldur2 double Woldwrath list and if Vyros is to be my Circle drop then I need to be able to deal with it. My thought going into the game was to use my greater threat to get the alpha on a ‘wrath, take it out over a couple of turns and then grind out a scenario victory. The plan brightened up when I won first turn and we got moving.

My first turn was mainly running up, under Deceleration and with Synergy precast from the theme benefit. I used the Empowers from the Arcanists to give the 6 Griffons a focus for Fleet to get them further up the table, but this left them outside of range to Advance into the zones, reducing my chance of scoring some early points.



Paul’s first turn saw the Mannikins charge into a Griffon, dealing minimal damage. The Woldwraths move up towards the zones and fire shots into the Griffons, taking the Force Field off one and dealing some boxes to an Aspis.

The building in the centre of the table was a crucial aspect of this game. It was positioned in such a way that I could contest Paul’s flag from behind the building, but he couldn’t do so from mine. As a result I moved a Griffon to safely contest, put a Mechanik on my flag and prepared to score on the bottom of 2. My forces on the left retreated out of threat range and on the right my Griffons killed off the Sentry Stone and the Wayfarer, reducing Paul’s max threat ranges by 2”.



Paul killed off the Griffon that had advanced up the table and consolidated his position. Baldur Feats, adding 3 armour to all his models and removing any of my limited movement tricks. A wall is put down in front of the left Woldwrath to prevent Imperatus being able to reach him whilst still allowing him to threaten. As planned, I score my flag and contest his, to take a 1-0 lead.



At some point I am going to have to go into the high armour Wolds, so may as well start now. One Griffon on the left charges into the left beast to start the Synergy chain, before 2 on the right go into Megalith, rolling well and leaving it on about 5 boxes. An Aspis moves into the contesting space and Vyros moves up to the flag and Feats. The rest of my jacks hang back out of threat and prepare to be wave 2. I score again to lead 2-0.



Once again, Paul deals with the Griffons I give him, Megalit killing one on the right, and the Wrath killing one on the left. After Vyros and Imperatus make a feat move Paul decides that he cannot afford to kill off the final Griffon on the right, and instead throws it away, dealing decent damage. A Shifting Stone moves over to contest my flag to keep the score at 2-0



Only one of the Woldwraths currently has Roots of the Earth up on it, but sadly it is the only one I can currently go for so have to go all in. The Griffons and Aspis on the right start up the Synergy chain before 2 Griffons and Imperatus go into the Woldwrath, with some seriously spiked dice leaving it on only a few boxes. Vyros himself then advances up and finishes it off, destroying the contesting stone, and repositioning to safety. I score on the flag and left zone to lead 4-0.



Whilst Paul could contest my zones next turn he would really struggle to score any of his own and I would definitely have a way to clear and scrore my final point to win. As other people were waiting for games, Paul saved the time by conceding.

VICTORY


I liked the feel of the new Vyros list, but think that this is a difficult match-up that I would need more practice into. I rolled VERY well on the Woldwrath to kill it and would have been struggling (on clock if nothing else, I finished on about 4 minutes) had I not finished it off. I tend to bump into Paul at Steamrollers and with one in a week or so I’m sure I will have another opportunity soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment