title

title

Tuesday 8 August 2017

Game 65: Vyros2 vs Ossrum

Game 65 – Vs Mark Ellis – Mercenaries – 26/07/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Manticore
-Manticore
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
General Ossrum (Hammer Strike)
-Grundback Blaster
-Grundback Blaster
-Grundback Gunner
-Grundback Gunner
-Grundback Gunner
-Grundback Gunner
-Ghordson Driller
-Ghordson Driller
-Ghordson Driller
Ogrun Bokur
Thor Steinhammer
Herne & Jonne
Horgenhold Artillery Corps
Horgenhold Artillery Corps
Max Horgenhold Forge Guard

Having had a lot of success with Vyros 2 in the last Steamroller I wanted to get some more games in with him in order to cement his place in my Masters pairing for September. I was already thinking of changes I wanted to make to the list (removing the Manticores) but with the additions not yet painted I gave the original list one more evening. My first game was against Mark, who was trying out his Ossrum list in theme. I won the first turn and we got moving.

Not many of my games with Vyros so far had needed the use of Deceleration, but this one definitely did. I cast it and generally ran forward, using the central forest to hide my jacks from his guns, and moving the Manticores up the left where they could use their Covering Fires to half the progress of the Forge Guard.



Mark runs up with his army, trying a speculative shot with a Sniped artillery that does no damage. Fire for Effect is cast onto the other artillery to prepare for next turn. His Gun Bunnies move up into the centre.

The central lights are all in range of my Griffons so I send them in, building up the Synergy chain, killing 3 and leaving the last crippled (it would die to a free strike next turn). The Manticores put down their Covering Fire in front of the Forge Guard. Vyros moves to the flag and Feats, hoping to gain from the Griffons inevitable demise. I sit on the flag ready to score a point if it is not contested next turn.



Mark feats, and between the Forge Guard and Drillers manages to destroy 3 of the Griffons, leaving the last one just a box in its Halberd and Cortex. My Artificer is sprayed off and with the Feat moves I am able to move Imperatus and the Manticores into useful positions for next turn. Mark neither scores his flag, nor contests mine, so I move into a 1-0 lead.

I need to start getting up on attrition whilst retaining a scenario lead. One of the Drillers has moved up pretty aggressively, so Imperatus and Vyros are able to deal with it whilst building up Synergy. Vyros moves into the right zone hoping that the remaining Griffon can kill the Blaster in the zone, but I forget about the feat and come up well short. A Mechanik takes up Flag duty. On the left one Manticore shoots off a number of Forge Guard and the second charges in, killing 6 between them. I score again with no reply, to lead 2-0.



Mark feels like he is well down on attrition and so lines up an assassination on Vyros. He is able to get a Driller to him using Energiser but I have enough Focus to take the attacks, only taking 8 damage or so. The rest of his forces destroy the left Manticore but only one Forge Guard contests the zone. I score again to lead 3-0.



All I need to go to win the game is kill the contesting Forge Guard and moves the Arcanist unit into the zone. I do so and win the game 5-0.



VICTORY


Mark didn’t pay anywhere near enough attention to the scenario in this game but we are still early in SR2017 so this is understandable. I think I would have been able to grind out the game on attrition as in the turn I won I should have been able to kill off both Drillers and the rest of the Forge Guard, and from there had enough armour and boxes left to take the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment