title

title

Thursday 27 July 2017

Game 63: Vyros2 vs Tanith

Game 63 – Vs Paul Sheard – Circle Orboros – 22/07/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Manticore
-Manticore
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Tanith the Feral Song
-Warpwolf Stalker
-Pureblood Warpwolf
-Pureblood Warpwolf
-Gorax
Bloodweaver Night Witch
Blackclad Wayfarer
Gallows Grove
Gobber Chef
Max Reeves of Orboros
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Sentry Stone & Mannikins
Sentry Stone & Mannikins
Shifting Stones
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew

As is becoming standard I am drawn against Paul in round 3 of a Steamroller, and again I am relieved to have brought Vyros2 to the event. Paul has no interest in dropping Wurmwood into me and so plays Tanith instead. Paul wins the first turn and I pick the side with a useful forest to hide behind.

Nothing too surprising in the first turn as Paul runs up into position, putting up a forest wall with the Sentry Stones to give them Stealth against my shooting. The Gobbers put up a cloud to trigger all his Prowl models.

My first turn is simply running into position. Vyros casts Deceleration so that anything without Afflicion is unlikely to be hurt by his shooting. My two units of Artificers move towards each zone in the hope of scoring them in a turn or so.



Paul’s second turn is mainly used to put damage onto Imperatus, recognising that he is the biggest threat in my list. Tanith casts Affliction through the Gallows Grove and the Reeves start shooting. A couple miss but roughly 18 or so points of damage are put on the jack. The Pureblood on that flank has Admonition put on him and sprays at Imperatus, dealing a decent chunk of damage and taking out Movement and an arm. The Sentry stones move up the middle and are unlucky not to take out Sylys, leaving him on 1 box. The pureblood on the right advances aggressively, killing an Arcanist with its spray.



Paul has presented me with a lot of targets this turn, but with my focus pile and a bit of luck I can take advantage of all of it. Imperatus activates Phoenix Protocol, Focus and Concentrated Power are given out to the jacks, before the Artificer charges and Combo Smites the right Pureblood, dealing decent damage. The Manticores kill a couple of Reeves and put some damage into the left Warpwolf. The Griffons on the left charge 2 Reeves to start the Synergy chain. The middle Griffon kills the Sentry stone to max out Synergy, before Imperatus and the right Griffon get to work. The right Griffon charges the Sentry stone, but is in range of the knocked down Pureblood, and is able to kill both. Imperatus charges the left Pureblood, who Admonishes away, but I am able to redirect onto the Gallows Grove and Side-Step into the Wolf, killing it. By the end of the turn 4 Reeves, both Purebloods and both Sentry Stones are destroyed. I score on the left zone and my zone to take a 2-0 lead.



In a rough spot Paul does what he can, upkeeping Affliction and finishing off Imperatus with the Reeves. The Stalker kills one Griffon and damages another, and Paul keeps the zones contested to stop me getting further ahead. The Gobber Chef kills the Artificer with a Backstab. We both score 1 point and I lead 3-1.



Only needing to score 3 points to win and with one safe in the bag, I have to kill the Night Witch and either his objective or the Warpwolf and Blackclad. I opt for the former, kill the witch with the Magister, and shoot the objective off with the Manticores. I score 3 unanswered points to win 6-1.



VICTORY


This was a really difficult matchup for Paul, and one that I had planned for and was the reason I brought Vyros. Also tilting this game in my favour was the fact that he had played a very gruelling 2 hour game the round before and had a very short turnaround. He gave far too much away in turn 2 but I’m not absolutely sure what else he could have done. The list felt great in this game and the Manticore shooting really added something to the list. I was through to the final against another Retribution player, also with a pair of Issyria and Vyros2.

No comments:

Post a Comment