title

title

Thursday 27 July 2017

Game 61: Vyros2 vs Makeda2

Game 61 – Vs Ryan Longthorne – Skorne – 22/07/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Manticore
-Manticore
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Supreme Archdomina Makeda
-Despoiler
-Basilisk Krea
Mortitheurge Willbreaker
Mortitheurge Willbreaker
Tyrant Rhadeim
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Min Paingiver Beast Handlers
Legends of Halaak
Max Praetorian Ferox
Max Praetorian Ferox

Today was the latest in the series of Steamrollers at the Wargamestore in The Wirral, and the first of SR2017, so nobody really knew how the event would go. After my games the previous Wednesday I felt that something differently needed to be done, so despite having never used him before I put Vyros 2 in as my pair to Issyria. I knew that there was going to be a Wurmwood player, a Mak2Cats player, a Legion player and Rich with the out there list I played on Wednesday, and I felt that Vyros gave me strong game into all of them.

At most Steamrollers you want a nice easy round 1 to get into the swing of things but that wasn’t to be the case today, with me bring drawn against Ryan who has been tearing up the meta with his Makeda2 list. Not the easiest game to drop a new list but I knew I had to go with Vyros. Ryan won the roll to go first and off we went.

Ryan casts Storm Rager on Rhadeim and runs up, protecting his cats with the building in the middle of the table.

I run up in response. 2 Griffons Fleet and run far up to tempt him out and I feat to take advantage when then die. A single Griffon flanks hard on the right to put pressure on the right zone.



Ryan leaps the cats in, killing one Griffon and almost completely crippling the other. On the death of the one Griffon I feated forward the one on the right flank, only to move him to close to the Legends, and getting myself Combo-Smited right back again. Best Feat 2017. Makeda sits on 6 fury for Stay Death.



Lacklustre feat aside my counter-attack is pretty impressive. Between the 9 Empowers I have on the table and the focus Vyros can afford to give out I have so many high quality attacks once Synergy starts to kick in. Ryan’s tough dice are super-cold this turn and I am able to remove 7 cats and the Legends of Halaak. It felt great having that much focus to throw around, and it seemed like I was in a pretty strong attrition position.



Ryan feats and attempts to come back into the game but with so few attacks he has limited success. He takes out the injured Griffon as well as a fresh one and one of the Manticores, reducing me to Imperatus, a Manticore and a Griffon to close the game out with. I still feel in a decent position but have a lot of work to do. He scores the left zone with Despoiler to start the scoring, and leads 1-0.

I want to use my turn to kill off both beasts and put some pressure on Makeda. I build up the Synergy chain a bit and manage to remove the Krea with my Griffon and Despoiler with Imperatus. My turn order is not ideal and I give Makeda more Stay Death fury half way through my turn, so I only kill a single cat, leaving 2 on the table.



Ryan realises that the attrition game is up and he has to go for an assassination. Vyros is camping 3 focus but has to take 2 cats, Rhadeim and 3 Paingivers to the face. Rhadeim rolled low on his damage but the rest of his forces rolled pretty well, and when the dust settled Vyros was left on 2 boxes.



With nothing to transfer to I look to assassinate Makeda. I build up Synergy using Vyros and the Manticore, do a load of damage to her with the Griffon, before Imperatus Side-Steps off Rhadeim into her, killing her with a single attack.



VICTORY


Not bad for a first run with a list. I didn’t play turn 2 particularly well but the sheer power of the list was enough to make up for it in turn 3, and I was able to ride the advantage out for the win. I can’t wait to play this list more and get a good feel for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment