title

title

Thursday 27 July 2017

Game 59: Kaelyssa vs Sorscha2

Game 59 – Vs Chris Young – Khador – 19/07/17

My list:
Kaelyssa, The Night’s Whisper
-Helios
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Dawnguard Sentinel Officer and Standard Bearer

His List:
Forward Kommander Sorscha
-Marauder
-Ruin
Winter Guard Gun Carriage
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Man-O-War Kovnik
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
-Koldun Kapitan Valachev
Max Man-O-War Shocktroopers
-Officer
Min Assault Kommanos
-Flame Thrower
-Flame Thrower
-Flame Thrower

I apologise to any readers bored of reading about games against Khador. I live in a Khador and Retribution heavy meta. I’m no happier about it than anyone else is. Today’s Khador fun time was presented by Chris, trying out Sorscha2 to see if she could answer other lists outside of Ghost Fleet. I dropped my dedicated Khador list Kaelyss, and Chris won the roll to go first.

Not much unusual in the first turn. Man-O-Wars gain Desperate Pace and run up with everything else following. The Marauder flanks on the right with the Gun Carriage moving hard up on the left, staying out of threat range of the AFG.



I take quite a cautious approach to my turn. I don’t want to feat, but I don’t want to get charged either, so advanced up to the edge of his threat range, with the left unit of Sentinels using Iron Zeal to protect against any blast damage that may come in from the Gun Carriage.



Chris also plays his turn cautiously. The Gun Carriage advances far up the left flank, leaving 2 AOEs of rough terrain for the Sentinels to deal with. The rest of his forced moved forward slightly and Orin moved to the flag to be ready to score next turn.



I needed to get a move on if I wasn’t going to fall behind on scenario. The AFG put 2 Brutal Shots into the Gun Carriage, taking off maybe a third of its boxes. Kaelyssa moved up, cast Phantom Hunter on herself, and shot Orin off the flag before Refuging back to her flag and Feating. The Sentinels move up out of walking threat of his models and prepare for next turn. Nobody scores.



Despite my feat being up Chris managed to do some serious work on the left unit of Sentinels, with the Gun Carriage and 3 Flame Throwers combining to kill 7 out of the unit. I had missed my shot to Disrupt the Marauder the last zone so it was able to run and engage Eiryss on the right flank. Nobody scores again.

Vengeance attacks from the Sentinels reduce the Gun Carriage to around 12 boxes. The AFG shoots it with one shot and kills 3 Kommandos with a slam. The sentinels finish off the battle engine and a couple more Kommandos. Kaelyssa casts Phantom Hunter on both herself and Helios, before Stalling Ruin. Helios charges a Man-O-War, pulling in Ruin to put 4 attacks into the jack, sadly not taking out any systems. The right Sentinels roll very well on the Marauder, killing it, and put some damage on the Man-O-Wars. Taking advantage of my good fortune, Eiryss moves round and kills Valachev. Still nobody scores.



Sorscha feats and does destroys Helios between Ruin and the Man-O-Wars, taking out all but 2 Sentinels on the left and causing 3 more deaths on the right. The table is clearing but I feel like I am in a strong position. I score the left zone but Chris scores his flag with the Kovnik. 1-1.



Between Vengeance moves and their activations the Sentinels all but clear the field, leaving only Aiyana, Holt, one Kommando and Sorscha alive. I score on my own flag and again on the left zone to lead 3-1, and Chris concedes the game.



VICTORY


This was an extremely enjoyable game. The first turns were extremely edgy and tactical with only one model being destroyed in the first 2 rounds. From there the dice went my way and I was able to pull ahead but it could as easily have gone the other way. Man-0-Wars are an extremely tough nut to crack, I am worried for what will come when they gain their upcoming theme list, and I was pretty impressed by the Flame Thrower Kommandos, but appreciate that they are an expensive unit with a perfect enemy in this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment