title

title

Tuesday 4 July 2017

Game 52: Helynna vs Kaelyssa

Game 52 – Vs Darren Meredith – Retribution of Scyrah – 25/06/17

My list:
Magister Helynna (Shadows of the Retribution)
-Manticore
-Manticore
-Sphynx
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Spears of Scyrah
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Commander
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Commander
Max Mage Hunter Infiltrators
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios

His List:
Kaelyssa, The Night’s Whisper
-Hydra
-Hydra
-Discordia
Arcanist Mecnanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Eiryss, Mage Hunter Commander
House Vyre Electromancers

Game 3 of the Steamroller and I was facing my first ever wooden spoon. As strong a field as this was I really wanted to avoid this particular accolade! I was faced up against Darren, a new player with Retribution, and the match up was Helynna against Kaelyssa. I won first turn and got moving.

I advance up, being careful not to move within 11” of Darren’s Mage Hunters, but pushing pretty hard on the right flank. I keep the Spears close to Helynna, being wary of a Phantom Hunter assassination all game.



Darren advances with Blur on the Sentinels. Kaelyssa feats and the Sentinels use their Mini-Feat in order to protect the force on the advance.

Without being able to charge anything my forces on the left run to engage the Mage Hunters. I figure that I can get ahead on the right flank and so wasting a load of time and activations on the left with Mage Hunters fighting each other seems to be in my favour. I spread the net on the right flank, and place Covering Fires in front of the Sentinels.



The Mage Hunter fight on my left starts well for Darren, as he kills a handful of them with combined attacks. On the right the Sentinels try to charge across the Covering Fire but after some die Darren changes plan and holds back. Discordia uses her Imprint and advances to spray some Mage Hunters, but can’t hit through their high defence.



Go time for the Mage Hunters. On the right flank the Infiltrators, Mage Hunters and a Manticore clear out Discordia, all but 1 Electromancers and all but 3 Sentinels. Narn moves to the flag to start scoring. On the left my Mage Hunters kill a couple of his, and the second Manticore lays down Covering Fire on his models, forcing them to move in his next turn. I lead 1-0



Darren’s Mage Hunters kill more of mine and then Reposition out of the Covering Fire. His remaining Sentinels Vengeance and then activate to kill a handful of my Infiltrators. The Hydras have been shooting up my Sphynx all game and this turn reduce it to relatively few boxes. I score again on the right flag to lead 2-0



I kill the Objective and put models between him and my right flag. Helynna makes sure she is out of 20” of the Hydras in case of a Hail Mary play. I score twice to lead 4-0



Darren knows he cannot stop me winning this turn and so takes the points for killing my Sphynx. I score to 5-0

VICTORY

A strong performance from this list that I think really masks the issues it has. Darren was a new player with a sub-optimal list so not too much can be taken from the victory. On the drive home I decided that the Helynna Shadows experiment was over and that I needed to try something different. Whilst the extra armour against blasts is helpful, there are too many things in the game that can either kill them in other ways, or don’t care about their unbuffed shooting enough to care.


Despite going 1-2 I had a great day out with the Powerfist boys, and recommend their events to anyone in the general area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment