title

title

Friday 23 June 2017

Game 44: Helynna vs Ossyan

Game 44 – Vs Allan Gibb – Retribution – 17/06/17

My list:
Magister Helynna (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Hyperion
-Hydra
-Chimera
-Manticore
-Manticore
-Manticore
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister

His List:
Lord Arcanist Ossyan (Shadows of the Retribution)
-Hydra
-Hydra
-Hypos
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Eiryss, Mage Hunter Commander
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Commander
Spears of Scyrah

There was a lot of Retribution at this event, so running into the mirror twice in a row wasn’t really that much of a surprise. Allan’s lists were Ossyan and Helynna, with the latter being almost identical to mine. He dropped Ossyan and I went for Helynna in light of how close the last game had felt. Allan won first turn (the +1 to go first is really annoying when your opponent has it) and we got going.

Ossyan put Quicken on one unit of Strike Force, Shatterstorm on the other, Refuge on himself and charged forwards. The rest of his forces ran with the Arcanists putting focus on the Hydras ready for next turn.

Helynna activated, feated immediately and cast Deceleration before Arcing Hand of Destruction onto the right Mage Hunters. Hyperion advanced to get Narn within 10 and shot the cannon at it. The scatter clipped him and a Mage Hunter, with blast damage killing both. Everything else ran up the table, and used Rhythm of War moves to engage the front line of Mage Hunters.



Ossyan feat turn, I brace myself. Between the Mage Hunters that die trying to disengage, Shield Guards spreading the damage around, and some bad dice rolls by Allan the feat turn isn’t too devastating. The Manticore on the right goes down, and the one on the left is dead by most accounts with only a few boxes and no useful systems left, but on the whole I survive it pretty well.

In my turn I can choose either to attrition away or go for the kill. Ossyan is stood only 8 inches or so in front of my central Manticore and Hydra, but with Admonition would be able to move away and deny me a charge. I fuel the jacks up, knowing that whichever way the turn went they would need to do some work. The Chimera activates first, running into Ossyan’s back arc, and Helynna arcs a Force Strike through him, having been powered up by Arcane Secrets. I boost the hit, get the Critical Knock-Down and Allan shakes my hand, the writing being thoroughly on the wall.



VICTORY

I think that even had I not managed to knock Ossyan down and kill him I would still have been in a strong position. Hyperion and the other jacks would have killed a lot of his army and got to a point where the colossal could bully the table. That being said I was glad for the opportunity to end the game quickly.


What followed was a waiting game to see whether I had qualified for the top8 event the next day. Unfortunately when the smoke cleared I had narrowly missed out, and would be playing in the second tier steamroller the next day. The good news was that this meant I could change my lists, so I could go in and try out some different ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment