title

title

Tuesday 6 June 2017

Game 35: Vyros1 vs Deneghra1

Game 35 – Vs Lee Dillon – Cryx – 03/06/17

My list:
Dawnlord Vyros (Shadows of the Retribution)
-Imperatus
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Hydra
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Mage Hunter Strike Force Commander
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Mage Hunter Strike Force Commander

His List:
Warwitch Deneghra
-The Withershadow Combine
-Desecrator
-Desecrator
-Nightwretch
-Nightwretch
Machine Wraith
Hellslinger Phantom
Ogrun Bokur
Satyxis Raider Captain
Max Satyxis Blood Witched
-Satyxis Blood Hag
Satyxis Gunslingers
Min Bane Warriors

On Saturday I played a 16 man Steamroller event at my local club and saw it as a good opportunity to test my two current list, Vyros1 with the Mage hunters, and Kaelyssa with the Sentinels. We were using the proposed SR2017 terrain rules so each table had a line of sight blocking terrain piece in the centre. My first opponent was Lee with Cryx, who was using a Terminus Ghost Fleet list and a Denny1 gunline. I felt that my Vyros list would have enough speed and Remove From Play abilities to be able to handle the Ghost Fleet, and clearly Lee felt similarly as he dropped the Deneghra list. I won first turn due to the +1 benefit and Lee picked the side with a wall to hide behind.

I run up the table, fuelling up the Hydra with 3 Focus so that he can keep hold of 2 for a later turn after running. Vyros casts Mobility to speed up the jacks and puts Hallowed Avenger on Imperatus in the hope that a Mage Hunter within 5 will be killed and allow him some threat extension.



Lee is slightly taken by surprise by the speed of my list and realises that he has to feat this turn to stop me removing a lot of his army. Deneghra moves up to include a lot of my force in the feat but crucially does not include either Imperatus or Narn. He moves up with his guns and fires into my army, killing 5 Mage Hunters from the left unit and one from the right, and leaving awkward Scather templates in front of my army.



Between a Hallowed Avenger move and Mobility Imperatus is within range of Deneghra so I start to plan out an assassination. I can’t get a warrior model in to trigger Flank even with Narn getting a Sprint move, and so the run is likely to come down to hitting 2 boosted 9s. Unfortunately I mess up the run as there isn’t a proper landing spot for Imperatus, so I switch plans and take out a Desecrator and most of an Arc Node instead, before running up with the Hydra as well and moding up to put pressure on the right Flank. An Arcanist runs to the flag hoping to score on my opponent’s next turn and Narn charges the Machine Wraith, kills it and sprints into an awkward spot within my opponent’s lines.



Lee spends the turn attempting to unjam himself but it unable to do so. On the left he just doesn’t have enough armour cracking to get through the heavies with the Satyxis and on the right he struggles to kill Narn, who survives a lot of 8s and 9s to hit to be still standing at the end of the turn. Things go from bad to worse for Lee as he backs Denny out of the killbox and is unable to contest my flag, allowing me to go 3-0 up in his turn.



With only one Satyxis contesting the left flag it is fairly simple for the remaining Mage Hunters to remove it, and the Arcanist on the left runs to the flag, allowing me to score 2 more points and win 5-0.

VICTORY


I think this was an example of Lee panicking a bit when faced with the speed of my list. His first turn was played pretty well other than not finding a way to get Imperatus in the feat but again I don’t think he understood the threat range with Hallowed Avenger. In terms of the list selection process I’m glad that it managed to scare off Ghost Fleet but will have to see how that particular match up will go. A quick win in the first round of a Steamroller is always a good feeling, as you can have a nice relaxing hour before moving into round 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment