title

title

Thursday 13 April 2017

Game 8: Helynna vs Ragnor

Game 8 – Vs Kevin Jones – Trollbloods – 25/03/17

My list:
Helynna (Forges of War)
-Sylys
-Helios
-Helios
-Hyperion
Arcanist
Arcanist
Artificer

His List:
Ragnor Skysplitter, The Runemaster 
-Runebearer
-Mountain King
-Troll Axer
-Mauler
Fell Caller
Stone-Scribe Chronicler
Feralgeist
Max Fennblades
-Officer + Drummer
Min Krielstone
-Stone-Scribe Elder

The last round put me up against Kev. Kev was a fairly new player and only had the one list, so I decided to drop the colossals list into him and just have a good old fashioned scrum. I will warn you now, this was game 4 of a long day and we were both tired and had played long games the round before. Mistakes were made. If you are looking for a good tactical game then you should move along (my next game was pretty tactical, I’d start there)

I went first and ran. Kev ran back with the +2 strength upkeep on the Mountain King. Tiredness also added to the fact that not many pictures were taken, especially early on. Put simply, Kev made the same mistake that my first 2 opponents did in this tournament, and gave me the opportunity to fish out the Mauler, significantly taking down his damage potential. The terrain in this game made my deployment difficult, with the Hyperion pinned in between objective and building. This didn’t seem like a problem as it would still be able to shoot away, and left the 2 Helii to double team and remove the Mauler; one boosting 3 drag shots, and the other taking it down in melee. In the excitement of this turn, I forgot to feat, leaving my Helios is range of the Mountain King.



Needing Rush in order to make it to my Helios meant that the Mountain King wasn’t quite able to kill me with his 6 attacks, but left me on 8 boxes. The Fennblades stepped up and the 4 that were able to charge put it in the dirt. Being one colossal down and another compromised in its position might have been a problem other than the fact that, out of solidarity, Kev also forgot to feat.



As a result, with Hand of Destruction on the Mountain King my other Helios was able to fairly trivially remove it from the table. I forgot to feat again, but on this occasion it didn’t matter as my opponent realised he couldn’t crack the armour and conceded. I think by this point we were both pretty relieved.



VICTORY

Not a great deal to learn from this game between 2 players whose brains had both turned to some sort of mush. I do feel like the Pacific Rim is fairly strong into Trolls as long as you can get rid of one of the army crackers early, as I was able to with the Mauler here. Kev was great fun to play against and it will be interesting to see how he evolves into the game.


In terms of the event as a whole 2-2 was pretty much what I was expected. I was pleased with how I played the first 2 games despite losing to Richard and do think I’m there about with how to play the Helynna list. The question now is what to pair it with for the Welsh and I’m not convinced by Kaelyssa yet. One of the main issues for me is that with Helynna being in ADR it seems very tempting to play a second ADR caster, which with my not owning Elara2 leaves the options of Thyron and Garryth. Food for thought, but I am really enjoying getting to grips with the faction.

No comments:

Post a Comment