title

title

Wednesday 26 April 2017

Game 15: Garryth vs Rhyas

Game 15 – Vs Paul Cooper – Legion of Everblight – 23/04/17

My list:
Garryth, Blade of Retribution
-Sylys
-Helios
Arkantrik Force Generator
Dahlia & Skarath
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Lanyssa Ryssyl
Lys Healer
Max Dawnguard Sentinels
-Officer and Standard

His List:
Rhyas, Sigil of Everblight
-Succubus
-Proteus
-Scythean
-Seraph
-Naga Nightlurker
Strider Deathstalker
Strider Deathstalker
Fyanna the Lash
Forsaken
Forsaken
Max Blighted Nyss Swordsmen
-Abbot & Champion

The final game of the Steamroller saw me face against Legion again, with Paul choosing to drop Rhyas without her sister. Again this is a Warlock I have no experience with but know that her feat can get models into crazy places, especially with Colossals on the table. Thankfully I wanted to get some more practice in with Garryth so only had 2, rather than 3, huge bases for her to abuse. I won first turn for the first time in the event.

I ran up with the usual combination of Mirage on the Sentinels and Sentry on the AFG. The Sentinels hold way back due to the presence of the 2 Deathstalkers, with the hope that the AFG can deal with them before they become an issue.

Paul aggressively runs up, spreading the Swordsmen out in order to mitigate the AFG’s blasts, but leaves Rhyas slightly to the side of the cloud that his Fuel Cache had put out.

I forgot to take a picture at this point due to the excitement of seeing an assassination opportunity. Not wanting to commit too soon I first fired the 3 AFG shots into the Swordsmen to see if I could thin them out. When only 1 died it became obvious that assassination was my only way out. I knew I could get Garryth within 12 of Rhyas to feat (meaning she couldn’t transfer damage) and put 2 fully boosted pistol shots into her, and Skarath could advance up 6 to get her within the 10 inch spray. This essentially meant that if I could hit 2 out of 3 boosted 10s the damage would almost definitely be there to kill her. Garryth’s first shot missed but the second spiked on damage to leave her on around 6 boxes, Skarath moved up and sprayed, getting the 10 to hit and killing Rhyas.



VICTORY

So often at the end of a 4 game day you just want to find a way to end the game quickly and I was really struggling to see what my path to victory was if the game went any distance. It would have been interesting to play it out but I think the Sentinels would have died quickly and left me with far too few attacks. Proteus with Rhyas seems a great combo to me too.

I finished the Steamroller at 2-2 which was my aim going in, and I am definitely leaning towards using this pair at the Welsh, partly as I’m running out of painting time. Still not certain that the Lys Healer is required but I know that as soon as I remove her I’ll get Garryth knocked down and killed so she’ll stay for a while at least. A fun day of games against a great variety of opponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment