title

title

Wednesday 26 April 2017

Game 12: Helynna vs Karchev

Game 12 – Vs Alan Bullard – Khador – 23/04/17

My list:
Helynna (Forges of War)
-Sylys
-Helios
-Helios
-Hyperion
Arcanist
Arcanist
Artificer

His List:
Karchev the Terrible (Winterguard Kommand)
-Juggernaut
-Juggernaut
-Marauder
-Marauder
-Marauder
-Marauder
-Marauder
Max Winterguard Rifle Corps
-Rocketeer
-Rocketeer
Kovnik Joe
Winterguard Field Gun

This weekend I played in a Steamroller in my local club in Stockport. We had a great turnout of 32 people so were split into 2 16 player fields, and it was the sharkiest of shark tanks, with several current, lapsed or hopeful WTC players so I knew I would have a great chance to learn things about my prospective Welsh Masters lists.

My first game put me up against a Khador player and as soon as we looked at each other’s lists we knew that the matchup was going to be Helynna against Karchev. On the face of it 5 Marauders may seem bad for 3 huge bases but with their very linear threat ranges and lack of any models to trigger Road to War. The scenario was The Pit and as a result despite winning the dice roll Alan put me in to go first, allowing him to score his own flag defensively first.

I ran my force up as I didn’t need to cast any spells; I had finished my first turn with 59:00 left on the clock, which was a great feeling. Karchev casts Battle Charged and ran up in response. With only about 5 minutes on our combined clocks the battle was starting before the tables nearby had finished deploying.



My objective this turn is simple. Pick 2 Khador heavies, drag them in and destroy them. Hyperion started the turn by critically hitting a Marauder, removing the Field Gun from play. The left Helios pulled in the nearest Marauder and destroyed it. The right Helios pulled in a Juggernaut and similarly removed it from the table, with a focus remaining to put up Distortion Field to make the Rifle’s shooting more difficult. With no Khador jacks in range there is no need to feat so I wait to see how Karchev responds.



With nothing in range but me not contesting his flag Alan starts a scenario play, running 3 jacks right into my face, with the next wave ready to come and deal damage afterwards. The Winterguard shoot into the right Helios but only deal 1 point of damage after the force field is removed. Karchev moves to 1-0.

Alan has given me 2 jacks centrally so the Helios on the left and Hyperion remove those, with the Helios also pushing the leftmost Marauder out of Karchev’s control area, reducing his potential impact next turn. Helynna put Hand of Destruction on the Marauder on the right and feats to prepare for Karchev’s counterpunch. The Helios charges the Hand of Destruction Marauder, getting within 4 inches of the flag, and destroys the jack. Khador remains 1-0 up.



Karchev’s feat turn. I thought that my feat would do a good job at negating it but it was still incredibly painful. The Marauder and Juggernaut in the centre wreck Hyperion whilst Karchev himself does about half of the boxes to Helios, although it doesn’t take out any systems and Karchev ends the turn on no camp.



With a fully operation colossal next to a caster with no focus the game should be over right… No. I fuel up the Helios and land a Hand of Destruction on Karchev, before moving up with Helios and starting attacks. One of the 5 swings misses and all told Karchev is left on 6 boxes, with his main weapon still intact. In order to scramble a defence the other Helios pushes the left Marauder even further away before punching the Marauder in the zone to death. The Artificer runs up to block the Juggernaut’s route to Helynna.



Karchev attacks the Helios leaving it on a handful of boxes and again sitting on no focus. The Juggernaut kills the Artificer and puts decent damage into the left Helios. The sad left Marauder wanders back towards the battle. Joe gives the Winterguard Bear Strength and one charging trooper finishes off the Helios. A new Kovnik is born! Karchev score



I try and work out a way to stop Karchev winning on scenario and eventually look down at Helynna’s card to see Obliteration. Dice-4 needing to do 6 damage with Arcane Secrets and Hand of Destruction. I roll enough damage and Karchev is killed.



VICTORY

This was an incredibly good fun game played in a great relaxed way. Paul was an excellent opponent and neither of us had any idea which way the game was going until I realised the Obliteration assassination. I feel that this is the game where I finally convinced myself that I am playing this list right, and that with a few more games under my belt I will be ready to take it to the Welsh Open, which is a good position to be in with 3 weeks to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment